Monday, May 5, 2014

Blog Plug: The Brennanator Briefing

Former editor over at Marvel Comics, current producer of political comedy show Electoral Dysfunction and all around good guy Tom Brennan is getting his blog back up and running.

He starts his new series with an argument for why the Right should love Jeb Bush. I'm undecided on this one. My knee-jerk populism makes me suspicious of political dynasties, but my enjoyment of Game of Thrones says maybe I just have to get used to it.

An excerpt:

"Don't get me wrong, I hope they don't nominate Jeb Bush.  I was able to see him speak last month, and was horrified at his mix of a folksy, friendly demeanor and his mastery of issues like education, the economy and defense.  He was charming, he was funny, he was in the middle of liberal Manhattan, so he clearly wasn't afraid to talk to a potentially unfriendly audience, and he offered solutions beyond the current conservative solution to every problem, "cut it's budget."

But a quick perusal of websites like Breitbart and Townhall would leave the average reader convinced that Jeb Bush is as some sort of Manchurian Candidate for a left wing, commie pinko conspiracy.  Yes, this staunch Pro-Life Republican, the governor who signed the "Stand Your Ground" law and who's 1994 gubernatorial campaign promised to "get tough on welfare recipients", who, lord knows, are the real bullies, is apparently not conservative enough.  Why? Mainly because he doesn't support throwing people who risk their lives to come to our country into prison.  Stupid hippy."

(Full disclosure: I know Tom and regularly perform in ED.)

No comments:

Post a Comment