Monday, April 21, 2014

The Politics of Story



I'm slowly making my way through some of the classic books about writing. So far, I've hit Stephen King's On Writing, Robert McKee's Story, Blake Snyder's Save the Cat! and Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey. I'm currently in progress on the beautiful illustrated Wonderbook.

There's a recurring element in all of these: truth claims that are political/philosophical in nature.

Here are some examples:

"‘Story’ is about eternal, universal forms, not formulas."

“Politics is the name we give to the orchestration of power in any society.”

McKee's fixation on fixed forms and universals is surprisingly medieval. Anddddddd all of these people have an appreciation for Jung, who was either a genius or a mystic kook. I haven't decided yet.

I took a glance at Go Into The Story to see whether Scott Meyers has done anything about this, but the only thing that was tagged under "politics" was this poll from 2011. It seems unrelated to literary theory.

Or is it?

More on this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment